Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pomelos

Me and my workout buddy decided to go to Cosco after our foray at the gym.  Our mission was to buy one of those thingies that monitors your heart beats, step count, calorie burn count, and wakes you up in the morning with a cup of coffee.  Unfortunately, Cosco was sold out.  That's right, Cosco sold out of them.  I didn't know Cosco was capable of selling out of anything.  Alas, we were vexed yet again because my shopping buddy couldn't find another item they were looking for.

We did however stumble on to these massive Grapefruit looking things.  Apparently they're called Pomelos, and they hail from somewhere in southeast Asia.  These of course are from California, naturally.  The sticker on the bag says they taste like Grapefruit, but sweeter and milder.  Hey that sounded good to me.  Naturally, I had to throw in a sophomoric joke about the size of my balls as I dangled the sack of over sized fruit in front of me.

The picture doesn't do justice.  This fruit is nearly the size of your head.


That was Saturday.  Today is Thursday, and I've eaten two of these enormous things.  You can only realistically eat a half a fruit at a time.  I like citrus fruit a lot, but there are limits to how much one can have before it's time to throw in the towel.  The Pomelo is so big, that it doesn't fit into any bowl I own.  So I cut it in half, cut around the circumference of the half, cut through it four ways, and then sort of push the flesh of the fruit out from the back.  It's sort of like opening a milk carton.  

Make your entire meal out of citrus if you'd like.  This is 1/4 of the fruit shown.


I highly recommend this fruit.  It's quite tasty, and goes well with coffee.  Although the meal is acidic and bitter, some how I think that suits me well...  If the shoe fits...

No comments:

Post a Comment