Friday, March 11, 2011

Groceries and Oddities

The biweekly trip to the grocery store has become rather inexpensive thanks to my squirrel diet.  That being said there are some oddities that I want to point out.  But first, checkout my shopping cart!  Doesn't it look healthy?

All fresh food, nothing processed.


On to the marketing...  Going to the dairy section at the grocery store, or at least Rainbow in St. Louis Park, essentially feels like going to a women only club.  Let's see here, we've got an endless selection of yogurt designed for the opposite sex...  Since it's not for me I'm not going to buy it.  Yoplus, Probiotic, Activia; all guaranteed to help you regulate your whatever.


Yogurt... Women only.




The previous was at Rainbow.  However, I did pop in to Cub Foods here in the ghetto to pickup a few things.  That and my buddy Jeff needed to do a full shopping trip and I was his ride.  I stumbled upon Ugli fruit.  Indeed, Ugli fruit is quite ugly.  Then of course you have these miniature bananas.  I guess somebody buys this stuff, otherwise they wouldn't have it.  I wanted to try one exotic fruit so I could say I had tried it; I bought a papaya.

Ugly, I mean Ugli fruit...


Mini-bananas, why bother?


Once I got it home, it was a bit of a shock to me.  The outside of the fruit smelled like a dirty jock strap marinated in garbage juice.  Jeff cut it up, and the smell got worse.  I thought Durian fruit was supposed to stick, not Papaya.  Nope, I was wrong.  It must taste good in order to make up for the foul scent.  It tasted horrible.  I took one bite and that was it.  I gave Jeff the whole Papaya.  Nasty!!



Cub Foods papaya, tastes as bad as it smells.


I had to scrub that cutting board real hard to get the stench off it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Eric, I'm finally stopping by here since you filled me in on this the other night. A few quick thoughts, although your photo caption says nothing processed, your bread and Total cereal are processed and are essentially nothing but sugar. Try to cut out as much sugar as possible, leaving very little sugar in your diet - unfortunately the clementines and carrots are nothing but sugar with a little bit of fiber, if you want to enjoy those in small amounts, be sure to eat them along with a whole fat like a dash of cream cheese, a whole fat yogurt, olive oil, butter, whole milk, nuts, olives, etc. I know we are brainwashed to think fat is the devil, but we need some "healthy" fat in our diet, this is essential to regulating our systems. Did you know a good dose of healthy fat will actually tell your brain you are satiated and your hunger signals will subside? It's amazing!

    All that commercialized yogurt is full of additives and.. you guessed it... SUGAR! Go straight for the simple, whole fat plain yogurt. Old Hole brand in the black and white container is the best option, and at trader joe's get their organic whole milk plain or go for a twist and get the whole milk greek yogurt. As you already know add a dash of honey (or maple sugar) and some nuts, or a spoonful of a nonprocessed fruit spread (check for no HFCS or added sugar).

    Hmmm, what else can I tell you? Protein protein protein. Lunch: eat a slice or two of lunch meat, with a smear of cream cheese, wrapped around a pickle. Breakfast: make an egg casserole and cut it into squares, this will last you a couple of days and can even be grabbed as lunch or a snack.

    I could keep writing but I'll bore you and sound like a know it all with no health problems when really, I need to put my nose to the grind stone myself!

    Cheers to you - let's catch up more later!

    ReplyDelete